Pioneer Trust Bank - Main Office
How Pioneer Trust Bank Began
The story began when Asahel Bush and William S. Ladd organized Ladd and Bush Bank in 1869. Asahel Bush was the founder, editor, and publisher of The Oregon Statesman which he sold in 1863. Asahel Bush died on February 13, 1913.
This institution prospered and expanded and as the years passed it became evident that, in addition to the normal banking services of the day, there was a need for local trust services. Therefore, A.N. Bush, son of Asahel Bush, formed a separate trust institution which was incorporated on May 13, 1924, under the name Ladd and Bush Trust Company.
In 1939 when A.N. Bush elected to sell Ladd and Bush Bank he named H.V. Compton to represent his interests and the bank was sold in 1940 to the United States National Bank of Portland. However, Ladd and Bush Trust Company was not a part of the sale and Pioneer Trust Company was selected as the new name. At that time the company was moved from a small building adjacent to Ladd and Bush Bank to its present location at the northwest corner of State and Commercial Streets.