PacificSource Health Plans
Health Care ManagementInsurance - Health
PacificSource was founded in 1933 by a group of 21 physicians who staffed and operated Pacific Christian Hospital in Eugene, Oregon. Within two years, the not-for-profit covered 600 employees, hired its first full-time manager, and named itself Pacific Hospital Association (PHA).
By 1940, PHA focused on providing health coverage to mostly wood-product companies and government employers, such as Giustina Brothers Lumber Company, Westfir Lumber Company, Lane County, and the City of Eugene. PHA fulfilled the needs of local employers who wanted to ensure their employees could access medical care and be protected financially when they were sick or injured.
Slow, steady growth and solid resources made PHA shine?finding itself rejecting merger offers. By 1945, PHA was insuring 4,500 people with a $2 per month premium. The company celebrated its 20th anniversary in 1953 with 10,500 members, 123 business contracts, and 67 physicians.
As a full-service organization with licensure throughout the Greater Northwest, PacificSource continued to expand its role as a community healthcare asset in communities across Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.